First Presbyterian Church was founded in 1872, and within 10 years the congregation had grown to 52. In 1883, 25 members left to start a mission outreach church in Dodd City, but FPC quickly recovered and grew to 122 members by 1900. The church’s first building was acquired in 1885, two blocks south of the current location, and in 1897 it was moved to its current position at 818 Main Street and completed in cruciform style. In 1912 a Mohler pipe organ was installed, and in 1964 it was electrified. In 1940 stained glass windows were installed, and in 1944 a bell was added to the belfry. In 1950 the church’s education building was remodeled and enlarged, and the congregation continued to grow. In 1994 FPC completely remodeled and expanded the education building and in January 1995 the Williams Education and Fellowship Hall was dedicated. Around the same time the congregation purchased the house next door on Main Street, which since then has been used as the “Youth House.” Some additional adjacent property was also purchased, and the church’s parking lot was constructed on one of them. In 1965, the Texas Historical Commission bestowed a historical marker for ours being the only church in the area with a spire and belfry.
About 14 years ago, a second worship service in contemporary praise style was added. In 2011, an adjacent vacant lot was converted into the Common Ground Prayer Garden, creating a quiet park-like setting for the congregation as well as the community. And following a capital campaign begun in 2012, a number of building improvements and renovations were undertaken, with the sanctuary being the primary focus. The work was finished in April 2013.